October 14, 2010

Error: unknown command 'loadfont', Error: file not found


Just as I thought my Ubuntu inside Windows was working fine and nothing could go wrong, as I tried to boot into Ubuntu the screen briefly flashed with
error: unknown command 'loadfont'
error: file not found
and the screen returned to the boot screen menu . Choosing to boot into Ubuntu again only repeated the process. What made Ubuntu to behave like this? Some users point to an update as the cause.

One solution to this problem requires editing the grub.cfg which didn't work for me since I couldn't save the file. I have tried all the solutions and suggestions found in Ubuntu Forums but nothing worked. There is only one way to resolve this problem and that is to reinstall Ubuntu which means discarding all my personal files. However, there are two ways to recover those files and these are:

  1. Copy the root.disk file from the Ubuntu folder in Windows or
  2. Use a software that can retrieve files from within Windows,
Installing Ubuntu inside Windows is easy using Wubi.exe, so I could copy the root.disk file, reinstall Ubuntu, and replace the new root.disk with the old one; this method is fine as long as the root.disk is not corrupted which already is since it wouldn't boot. The best option is explore the root.disk file from within Windows and copy whatever files I could save.

On the next three or more posts I will write down how I experimented with reinstalling Ubuntu using wubi.exe the Linux-newbie way and how I was able to recover my files from the unresponsive Ubuntu.



0 comments:

Post a Comment